Thursday, April 30, 2009

fix your eyes on Jesus

by Pastor Jim Rovaggi

You wouldn’t walk down the street with your eyes closed, unless you foolishly agreed to a dare. Nor would you drive your car with a blindfold on. Incidentally, putting on make-up while you drive is dangerously similar to that scenario! In short, to get from point A to point B you need to watch where you’re going. Church family, it is in the very same way that we don’t run this marathon of salvation with out fixing our eyes on Jesus.

I believe that the Lord allowed my wife and I have to have a child so that I would have an unending source of illustrations. With that said, here it is.

When little Julian wants something desperately enough he begins to move towards that object, typically an edible object, without pause. So let’s just say he sees a cookie. He will immediately wobble towards said cookie careening off tables, people, small dogs and so forth until the prize is firmly clutched in his pudgy little fist. Samson himself couldn’t pry that cookie out of his hand once he lays hold of it. He may fall down twice, he may get bumped repeatedly, he may even get nibbled at by an indignant pet …. But his enlarged eyes are still fixed on that cookie and like the old song says, he will overcome. For our intents and purposes here today, Jesus is the cookie! Fix your eyes on Him!

As I prepared this devotional thought I was overwhelmed with how good and faithful God is and I was lead to write this prayer. Read it prayerfully and allow the Holy Spirit to guide your thoughts in the direction He desires.

a prayer for renewal

When my grip weakens, with out my realizing it, your grip becomes tighter.

When I think I’m one mistake away from being left the way I am, your plans for me promise life and a future.

When I lose sight of all that you’ve done, and my footsteps waiver, your right hand guides me back to the path.

Even when I begin to stumble and perhaps even fall, I have only to repent to find that you have already caught me. You were simply waiting for me to notice it. Ready to forgive.

If my thoughts stray from my purpose, and my eyes wander towards the peril of greener pastures, your loving rebuke draws me back.

When experience, abilities, and past successes seek to puff up, you reach in to humble me.

When injustice and hurt is committed against me and mine and I’m tempted to lose my focus, your sacrifice looms in my heart and my commission is reestablished.

When solitude and isolation threatens, you shine a light on the crowd of witnesses surrounding me.

Your mercy constantly protects me from myself and your love is eternal.

I will fix my eyes on Jesus and run with perseverance even when obstacles from without and within seek to entangle.

Thank you, Jesus for the grace and mercy that sustains and renews us.

Thank you, that You are the source of all power and wisdom.

Propel us to serve you, our brothers and sister in You, and the ocean of people unknowingly searching for You.

In Jesus Name Amen

Hebrews 12:1-2

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

God Bless You and may He make us blessable.

Pastor Jimmy E. Rovaggi
Associate Pastor
West Hudson Christian Center
557 Kearny Avenue Kearny, NJ 07032
p 201-997-7762
c-973-600-8544

1 comment: