Tuesday, April 21, 2009

snow angels in the dirt

by Pastor Jim Rovaggi

I was speaking to a young man this past week that was struggling with discouragement. He is serving God to the best of his ability and there is no lack of gratitude to the Lord for the mess He brought him out of, yet he was discouraged. He allowed circumstances, family and old friends to remind him of the failure he was in the past. It’s funny how sometimes the people closest to us are the ones that harm us the most. Intimacy has a way of giving us license to tear down and wound. Oh it’s not always meant to be mean spirited or intentionally hurtful, none-the-less it causes us to feel devalued. I want to remind you of something today. When God looks at you He sees what He created you to be. He sees your value and your success at all the good works He prepared for you to do before you were even born as it says in Ephesians 2: 10!

God looks at us through the filter of His son Jesus! Have you ever been discouraged? Have you ever been so overwhelmed with the pressures of life that made you truly question your faith?

This past week my wife and I were working in the garden. Our little boy ran around frolicking and squealing joyfully as only a two year old can, while we broke up the dirt, planted seeds, and raked weeds and dead branches that had collected over the winter. In faith, all this effort will produce lots of beautiful vegetables later this summer. I was battling a headache so I called it quits and went in the house. At one point I looked out the window to see my son playing in the dirt by laying flat in the garden flapping his limbs back and forth as if he were making a snow angel! Now my initial response was annoyance. I was annoyed that he was making a mess of the nice neat rows my wife had prepared. I was annoyed that he was covered from head to toe in dirt. I was annoyed that my wife wasn’t reprimanding him. But my feeling of annoyance turned to mushy love when I heard his giggles and saw his beautiful little expression. It made me think, this is what Jesus must feel when he looks down at us. Here we are struggling through our day to day, making mistakes, playing in the dirt as it were, and even though we deserve reprimand, Jesus pulls us up out of the dirt, brushes us off, and steers us in the right direction. Why? Because He feels warm mushy love for us far deeper than what we can feel for our own children. My friends we have every right to walk in joy and in victory today! God is faithful and true and will see us through to the end of this temporary path right into our eternal one. Don’t let misguided words ruin your day. Don’t allow memories of past failures immobilize you! When we walk in repentance and in relationship with the Lord we have the promises of God to depend on!

I leave you with these scriptures.

Romans 4:18-21 18Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, So shall your offspring be. 19Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead—since he was about a hundred years old—and that Sarah's womb was also dead. 20Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised.

Jeremiah 29:11 11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Be encouraged! These scriptures are for every one of us today! Take some time to take out your bible and read these scriptures for yourself. Give God time to speak to your heart today and bring you peace and joy and encouragement.

God Bless You and may He make us blessable.

2 comments:

  1. How can you get mad at that cute little face.... Your son is so adorable. but yeah, God must have a lot of fun picking us up from the mess we put ourselves in. How many times do you think He say's "Didn't I tell you not to do it that way, you just don't listen"....as He is dusting us off.. but to our defense, He did create us...lol..

    God bless you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Encouraging, brother Jimmy...blessings to you - Bob

    ReplyDelete