Friday, May 15, 2009

algorithm of the spirit

by Pastor Jim Rovaggi

I apologize that I was unable to get my blog posted for a while. Thank you, to those of you who encouraged me with your impatience. So here is a tiny part of what’s been floating around in my thoughts lately.

Life is complicated. Deep huh? I imagine anyone older than nine years old fully agrees with me. In fact, the older we get the complicated-er life seems to become. I don’t know about you, but sometimes I just want to shout at God. Do you ever feel like that? Have you ever just been tired enough, or frustrated enough, or angry enough to say “Why Me!?”, “It’s not fair!”, “Why are my days so complicated?!”

Even my, now famous, two year old has bad days. Let me describe a typical day in the life of my precious bundle of joy. He woke up crabby and flushed with fever from the molars coming up in his mouth. So already I knew it was going to be a complicated day. He decided that instead of sitting in his child-size rocking chair he would stand on it surfer style. Inevitably he came crashing down. I scooped him up as he wept pitifully to comfort him, and as I walked around I smelled something, um, odd. By now he had calmed down somewhat, right up until I hefted him up to get a better whiff and bonked his head on the low beam crossing the ceiling. Again the weeping commenced with renewed vigor. He finally quieted down enough for me to release him. In no time at all he was back to his normal self. Meaning he went back to surfing on the rocker. When that got old, he munched on several house plants till I spotted him. I gave chase, he ran away (dirt spilling from his mouth), he crashed over his gigantic 2 foot high Curious George…. and so the dance went on for the entire day. Happy, sad, mad, content, angry, giddy with joy and so on.

How does that compare to my own thirty-something life? Well, from birth we know life has its’ ups and downs and Christianity is no different. When we came to know the Lord we weren’t given the keys to immediate joy and perfection.

Matthew 5:45 says: “….that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” There will be good things and bad things that come our way. No we weren’t given the keys to euphoria, but we were given the algorithm to live in peace and joy.

Here is how Wikipedia describes an algorithm: In mathematics, computing, linguistics, and related subjects, an algorithm is a finite sequence of instructions, an explicit, step-by-step procedure for solving a problem, often used for calculation and data processing. It is formally a type of effective method in which a list of well-defined instructions for completing a task is utilized.

Algorithms are complicated, just like the Christian walk ….Do you recall calculus or algebra? A single problem that needed to be worked out consisted of multiple steps. One equation could cover several sheets of paper. I would get my equations so convoluted I could no longer follow my own reasoning! I would never have the patience to be a good mathematician! It’s a good thing I’m not a rocket scientist. I guess many of you knew that. In these long linear algebraic problems if you got any of the initial steps wrong, your final equation would be off. Solving those kinds of problems requires diligence and focus and concentration. Just like the Christian walk.
I know it can be infuriating when a well meaning brother or sister tells us to just “hang in there”. But the truth is that is Godly advice. James 1:2-6 2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work (or its equation) so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

So today I’m asking that we look at our complications the way the apostle James would. We can choose to ask questions in frustration. (And they may be very valid questions.) Lord, why can’t I just have what I want?! Why shouldn’t I have a bigger house or a nicer car? Why am I blind? Why am I handicapped? Why am I sick? Why can’t I have children? Why am I alone? And so on. I’m asking that instead, we would ask of God what can I learn from this? In what way can I use my frustrations to bless the kingdom? What experiences, what knowledge can I use to bless someone else going through similar or worse situations?
You‘ve heard the term, “don’t be bitter be better”. That’s what a Christian’s perspective should be.

So sit back. Relax. Let the peace and wisdom of God lead you today, and if you should happen to see my son chewing on a plant let me know.

God Bless You and may He make us blessable.

Pastor Jimmy E. Rovaggi
Associate Pastor
West Hudson Christian Center
557 Kearny Avenue Kearny, NJ 07032
p 201-997-7762
c-973-600-8544

1 comment: