Wednesday, November 18, 2009

to obey is better than sacrifice

I've been remiss on posting a devotional lately. You may be thinking this poor brother must be suffering. Perhaps he is going through some stormy season and so has neglected his devotional life. The pressures of ministry have finally gotten to him.

This reasoning couldn't be further from the truth. The exact opposite is true. I have been blessed with a wonderful time of comfort and excitement! I have had the privilege in the last few months of the “mountain top “ experience. I have to admit. It’s mighty nice up here. I’ve had specific prayers answered. I’ve had clear direction form the Lord on various subjects. I’ve preached sermons that were confirmed by several people and spoken prophetically and watched God confirm the prophecy through trusted Godly people all around me. This is the stuff of goose bumps for me. Is our faith based on feelings? No, but it sure is nice to have our faith built up through our feelings once in a while. Don’t misunderstand. There have been the usual challenges of home and ministry. However, it’s as if the Holy Spirit decided recently, “it’s time to build this poor guy up for a while.” Delightful.

So if everything is so ducky then why not share it on my blog? Because I didn’t have permission to do so. ( Read that last sentence again, then read it one more time ) Each time I would sit down to share some thoughts there would be a “check engine light” of sorts in my spirit, that would click on and stop me. I certainly wrote out several devotional thoughts, I simply understood that it was not meant to share.
You see there is a direct correlation between obedience and the joy and blessing I’ve been experiencing. In order for me to enjoy the “mountain tops” I have to be obedient. Let’s connect the dots here. Obedience to the Lord does not guarantee worry free bliss and a constant spiritual giddiness … What it does guarantee is peace, and sustenance and yes, occasionally, the mountain top experience.

Let me be very clear about this. Sharing a devotional thought is fine. Sharing your testimony with someone is terrific. Sharing your thoughts with fellow believers is great. Here is the caveat. Before we do any of these things we need to make sure we’re doing it in obedience! Otherwise we run the risk of sharing our own thoughts filtered through our flesh rather than the Holy Spirit. Am I suggesting that believers ought to just quiet down? Absolutely not! Rather, I want to exhort you to seek the Lord in prayer and in scripture and in times of intimacy so our hearts and actions become attuned with Him. When we allow, daily, our desires to be overshadowed by His we give Him license to use us!

I leave you with a few short scriptures to ruminate. Psalm 32:8-9, Psalm 37:23 Proverbs 20:24, 1 Samuel 15:22.
In the last several weeks the Lord placed in my heart a little nugget of wisdom that is meant for us all. It is far more important for us to be gracious than lawful.

Will you join me in a simple prayer?

Lord, give us wisdom. Help us to be kind, loving one another. Guide our steps. Guide our words. We need your insight. Give us hearts that are soft and sensitive and easily led by your Spirit. Overshadow our desires with yours that we might be useful to the kingdom of Heaven with out wounding those around us. We thank you in advance for the discernment you freely give, as we seek to know you and be obedient. Amen

1 comment: